Hey all
Before we start I suggest you start loading the videos below so that when you get to them they will play immediately for you. Off you go now – scroll down and press play a couple of times.
Well here I am a week after opening the new Hatfield Factory store. We completed a full 3 day induction which I did with the help of the store manager of Swindon and a few guys from Niketown as well. We held it at a very swanky leisure centre on the site of the old London Airport. Inside the hangers where the jumbo’s used to park are now filled with indoor tennis courts and swimming pools. That all went smoothly and it’s funny how quickly you can pinpoint the troublemakers. Unfortunately my new store manager decided to resign the Friday before induction started so I was left high and dry with only an assistant store manager who was promoted from Niketown. Luckily I also had a footwear manager and his partner who I got from the Mitzgen factory store in Germany who applied for positions in store.
After a week of load-in and several 12 hour days (luckily this was the area manager’s job and I was able to go back to work and catch up on work and sleep) the day before opening we organized the grand opening party to be held at a restaurant. The food and drink flowed until we all realised we had to be at the store in a few hours so headed back to the ‘poor’ Quality Hotel which we were put up in. The day of the grand opening I put together a PowerPoint presentation that lead from day 1 to opening and then a few words from the management team which began the champagne flowing – at 8am in the morning. 150 people were waiting at the front doors and once the doors opened it was all out of my hands and sat back and watched. Luckily that day I interviewed a possible store manager with the GM of the factory stores and he was perfect so this week I have him being trained up in our Essex store and then straight into Hatfield.
I will have the email that was sent around the UK announcing the opening when I get back to work.
I hope everyone had a good Easter. Mine was spent in West Sussex which is in the English countryside pretty much right above Brighton. Helen and I went down the Friday morning and immediately headed out for a walk through the rolling hills. It was supposed to me a miserable day but we managed to find the dry patches of the day when we were outside. After the walk we headed back to our Hotel and then to Helen’s parent’s holiday flat (just across the road) for some bubbly and then off to Arundel – the UK version which has its own castle. We had dinner at a place that never disappoints – unlike some of the places we have had to review for Helen’s magazine.
The next morning we headed to the seaside town of Ferring – I think that’s how it’s spelt – to have a walk on the beach. Now I have been to the beach plenty of times but this was the first time I was in cargo pants, T, thermal jumper and waterproof jacket. So while I was down on the waters edge where people swim in summer, it started SNOWING! We then headed to the Fish Factory for exactly that where I had a taste of mushy peas with the fish and chips – not good but not bad. And doing what we do best, 4 hours later we were back in West Sussex for dinner at a pub before heading home to London.
On Sunday we met up with Heidi who was off for a 27 day trip around Europe – going all the way down to Greece and back up again. That will open here eyes to things she didn’t expect to do while over here. She is backing London for 3-4days before she is off on another trip for 2 weeks around the UK.
In the Time Off magazine over here there is a competition which Helen and I are doing to win a few prizes. I will have to get some of you to fill in the answers for us so we get as many entries into the draw as possible. It is a treasure hunt around London where you collect clues and then submit them online. If you can then great – if not then just don’t then…
On Thursday there was the official opening for the movie The Orphanage which had both the director and producer – Guirillimo Del Toro (who also did Pan’s Labyrinth – a definite must see). The screening was sold out a week in advance but that wasn’t going to stop me. I waited and waited and as the movie started 4 spare tickets went on sale and I got one and ducked into the packed cinema. Hard enough to find a seat in the dark of a cinema let alone one with only 4 spare seats… When it opens in Aus it will be a must see. Best not to read anything about it before seeing it. It might be at the Art centre or something as it is Spanish with subtitles but worth searching for. Unfortunately Del Toro was sick and the Q&A afterwards was only with the director but was great anyway.
I have a hot tip for you over there. If you are now a fan of The Office – not counting you mum – then I have found a gem that will probably not get a release in Aus so I have put a link here so you can watch the first episode then watch the rest on youtube. Do yourself a favour and stick with it. Like the office there are so many great lines but it will take a few watching’s to pin them all down.
THE THICK OF IT
Last night we went to see a small band playing in the UK for the first time – The Panics – from Perth. They went down really well and are apparently trying to break into the market so will be back a few times this year.
Heading to our first Hotel review on Sunday but have to pick up a car and drive it into London on Saturday as they are closed on Sunday. Will probably have a brain explosion trying to find my way back in.
I think anyone watching TV in he 80/90’s will be looking forward to this. Check it out….
Another hot tip for a movie a little way off that is going to be coming out about August. It is a comedy called TROPIC THUNDER. Any movie that has Robert Downey Jr playing a white man playing a black man – who is such a method actor that he stays in his black persona until he finishes doing the commentary for the DVD is champagne comedy in my books.
I got to see The Presets playing a small gig in London Uni last week too. Coming up in the next couple of weeks is another Hotel stay in the Cotswolds and then seeing Longwave – a band that supported Something For Kate a few years ago in Byron Bay – who are playing at the Camden Barfly, Cut Copy who are doing a medium sized gig, Pete Doherty solo paying the biggest gig of his life at Royal Albert Hall in front of 6000 people, Dirty Pretty Things playing their gig launch, Love Music Hate Racism free concert in East London where Babyshambles are playing, Black Kids (get on board if you are not already – next big things) and then the International Rugby 7’s being played at Twickenham.
And now try to guess what they are doing test shots for here….
No sleep for the wicked.
Until next time, back up the tree I go.
No comments:
Post a Comment