Sunday, April 6, 2008

I'm over Easter...



Over Easter I headed down to West Sussex – just above Brighton in the country side to spend Easter with Helen and her parents. We spent the first day walking the hills and the second we decided to visit a town call Ferring which was on the ‘English Seaside’. So we ended up on the beach and I was dressed in cargo pants, T, jumper and rain jacket – and just to top it all off once we were down on the water’s edge it started snowing.

I had the last week off. I just took some time off to do a major assignment for the Employment Law course that I am doing. I spent ½ the week doing that – being strapped to a laptop and tapping the keys. In between I got the chance to see The Panics who played The Barfly in Camden. They were good but they will need to get much better to be able to break into the scene over here. But it was all worth it as on the weekend Helen and I headed to Wales to do what we do best – take advantage of any freebies that may come our way. Helen’s work had scheduled a 2 night visit to Wales. We stayed in a lovely hotel called Peterstone Court which was right on the bank of a river. We arrived, had a beautiful lunch and then went for a walk along the river. While we were on the walk I saw tadpoles where the mud met the water so I went down to scoop one up when…. I slipped straight into the river. Now that’s not the best look to have when you are supposed to be reviewing a 4 Star Hotel and you come into the foyer – where there is a wedding taking place – sopping wet from the waist down.


On both days full breakfast and 3 course dinner with bottle of wine was provided. The kitchen has a Michelin Starred chef who cooked our dinner. It was divine – see photos attached. Peterstone was once a huge manor and it seemed like each room had its own fireplace or view out onto the property.

On the second day we hit the road to descover the hills of the Brecon Becons. We climbed until it started raining. On the way up 2 fighter jets roared through the valley and on the way down I encountered the Welsh Cow. They were the most lovely docile creatures to get up close with. We then headed to the Caves but once there couldn’t part with £22 to go in and have a look around. For lunch we headed to Breckon but lets just say it was a hole with a lot of pregnant teenagers walking around it. That evening we headed back and had another great dinner in the main dining room – which had been used the previous night by the wedding party.

Up early the next morning we checked out and headed to a town called Hay-on-Wye which is what they call a book town. It is a tiny little town which has 30 secondhand bookshops – found in anything from a tiny shop to an entire old cinema and castle. Really needed a few days to be able to chew through that town. They had a specialty shop which made ice-cream from sheep’s milk – which made it a lot more smooth that cow milk.

On the way back home Helen had organised another 3 course lunch with drinks to be reviewed by her magazine. It was a lovely place with a real homely feel. – Pics also attached.


Since then it has been back to the grinding board at work. We have had lovely weather last week. It got up to 18 degrees on Friday and today (Sunday) it decided to snow. Sitting at my desk overlooking Oxford/Regent Street we had the Olympic Torch come down the road.


I also went and saw the movie The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert somethingorother. It was a bit of a long one - 3 hours I think. Interesting watch since you are waiting the whole movie for the name of he movie to happen. It's definitely worth a watch but might not translate tothe small screen.




Now for some hot tips...




If you are inthe market for a good book I suggest tracking this book down. Its a great grim read...

Also you can check out what Ed's been up to:
http://edmurillo.blogspot.com/

Until next time…. Back up the tree I go.

No comments: